PROGRAMMES FOR PUBLISHING SUPPORT (PAP)
The PAPs aim at supporting the work and involvement of foreign editors having a policy of publishing books translated from French, thus allowing a foreign public to have access to French contemporary creations and ways of thinking.
PAPs are a crucial tool for the development of French prestige accross the world. They are made up of two components:
- support in copyrights buying, provided by the French Institute
- support in publishing, provided by the French cultural network in foreign countries. (see "PAP Johanne Aavik")
Over the last twenty years, 80 local PAPs have been created across the world, and more than 18,000 titles have benefited from the Programmes for Publishing Support.
PROGAMME FOR PUBLISHING SUPPORT - FRENCH INSTITUTE
For the February 2017 session, the deadline for submission is January 15th.
For the June 2017 session, the deadline for submission on 2nd of June.
The programmes for publishing support/transfer support are aimed at foreign editors wishing to translate and publish French authors. The projects can fall within a range of different literary fields: literature, human sciences, youth literature, comics, theatre, poetry, academic and scientific publications... The French Institute's support can only cover, partially or totally, the cost of the transfers of rights (text and/or iconography) indicated in previous contracts between French and foreign editors.
Documents to download:
- Budget example
- French Institute contract to fill in
The commission considers the projects according to the following criteria:
- inherent qualities of the work and its importance within the French creations and ways of thinking
- work and involvement of the foreign editor in developing a lasting policy of translating and publishing French authors
- ability of the editor to meet his or her commitments in terms of spreading and promoting the book
- the projects presented must be ongoing; no support will be provided to an already published book.
The projects submitted by the foreign editors are submitted to the French Institute through the international French cultural network. Any interested foreign editor is invited to make contact with their local French Institute and/or with the cultural service of the French Embassy, so they can be assited during the process (detailed informations are available on the websites of the French Institutes and French Embassies).
PROGRAMME FOR PUBLISHING SUPPORT - JOHANNES AAVIK
The commission meets in early October, the deadline for submission being September 20th.
The PAP Johannes Aavik is aimed at Estonian editors having a project directly linked to France that would not be eligible for the PAP French Institute. The French Institute of Estonia takes into consideration any type of project.
Please don't hesitate to send us a request presenting your project.
Contact: rene(at)ife.ee or (+372) 616 1640